CHELTENHAM OWNER'S CLUB
Click here for a history booklet compiled for the clubs diamond anniversary 2010
How it all began...
Mr Arthur Gardner built his first caravan in 1919. It was actually a motor caravan converted from an army ambulance. Arthur and his wife Joyce, our late President, spent their honeymoon in it. However, the shortcomings of such a vehicle were soon apparent to Arthur, and he felt that, if there was to be a future in caravanning, it must surely lay in trailer caravans. Convinced of this he set about building a trailer caravan from scratch, including the chassis. This was the beginning of what, through the pursuit of an ambition to produce the ideal caravan, ultimately led to the Cheltenham models bearing Antelope names that form our Club today. The use of Antelope names was suggested by a South African customer in 1937 and adopted in the following year's production.
Throughout their development, all new models were road and site tested extensively before production for sale, by the Gardner family themselves. once on the market, every opportunity was taken to obtain feedback from the new owners in order to identify any design faults or where there might be room for improvement. At caravanning events, particularly Internationals, they generously entertained all the Cheltenham owners on site and invited them, indeed encouraged them, to make candid comment about their vans. A close relationship with the owners developed, and among the owners, with each other. This gave Joy and Arthur the idea of starting an owners club, which would be unique. There was no other in existence at the time, although one had been started in 1937 for the owners of Winchester caravans, but it faded after only one year.
Arthur and joy lived at Southfields Manor, Cheltenham, and owned the adjoining farm. They spread the word among Cheltenham owners by every means at their disposal that there would be a free meet at Southfields Farm the following September.
This was successful in gathering together a number of owners and 55 vans presented themselves at the entrance gate. It had rained for most of August and the entrance to the field had become a quagmire. The prospect was grim, but any misgivings the arrivals might have had were soon dispelled by the smiling face of Cecil, son of Arthur, gumbooted and armed with a Landrover to tow them in. It was not long before all were settled and chatting.
A marquee had been erected and the Gardner Family entertained everybody to a splendid dinner, at which the Mayor of Cheltenham and the local M.P. were also guests. During one of the speeches a fuse went and the assembly was plunged into darkness. It was pleasing to be able to remark that the Club has experienced no further dark periods in the 50 years since that weekend!!
The proposition that a club, called the Cheltenham Owner's Club, should be formed was put to the assembly by the host for the weekend, Mr Arthur Gardner. This was received with enthusiasm, which has not since waned, and carried unanimously. It was decided that the new Club should have activities complimentary to the National Clubs and not vie with them in any way. The Cheltenham Caravan Co., Ltd., had organised this meet, but in future the Club's activities should be entirely organised by a committee appointed by the members. Mr gardner offered the club the use of a site on Southfields Farm for an annual rally.
Club having been formed, the first Officers and Committee were then duly
Mr Arthur Gardner agreed to be President of the Club.
was suggested that the next meet should be held in September in the
following year biut ther was a counter proposal for June which was carried
by a large majority. Since then, successive committees have held, what
soon became known as the 'Cheltenham Weekend', annually in June. The
meetings were all held at Southfield Farm, until the Cheltenham caravan
Company ceased trading in 1975. It is recorded that during this period
that attendance at these meetings rose to a peak in excess of 300 vans. In
1962 a rally was held in the Autumn at Hexham, Northumberland, which, I
believe was the first of the excellent 'Rallies of the North' that have
continued ever since. They are listed on the Northern
Rallies page in acknowledgement and appreciation of the Hosts who did
so much, and in the hope that it will stir some happy memories.
1951 - the club members entertained the Gardner Family to a luncheon at the Chateau Impney, near Worcester and presented them with an Illuminated Address signed by most of the members; this was an expression of appreciation for the generous hospitality extended to Cheltenham owners for many years, from long before the Club was formed. This was the first of the now familiar and ever popular Winter Luncheons
1961 - saw the production of the first Newsletter. It consisted of four sides of A4. In it the President wrote that the Membership was in excess of 1000 and that since the Club started in 1950, a total of thirty-six thousand members and their families had attended the annual Rally at Southfield. Also in 1961, the Club obtained, after an uphill struggle, a Certificate of Exemption from the Minister of Housing and local Government under the 1960 Caravan Act. We were the first Club to obtain such a Certificate.
1964 - The Irish Division of the Cheltenham Owners Club was formed at a rally on the site of the Orchard Caravan Co., Donaghee. Its aims were the same as those of the parent club and a rally for the following year was planned. I can find no record of its subsequent success or otherwise
1968 - The President was unable through illness to attend the Winter Luncheon, but members were pleased to hear that he was progressing well after a serious operation. Sadly, he relapsed and died before the Cheltenham Weekend. Mrs Joyce Gardner was elected President at the AGM and Mr Cecil's wife Pat was elected as joint Treasurer with Mrs Gardner.
1970 - The year of the 21st Cheltenham Weekend, the inauguration meeting being counted as the first. 570 Cheltenhams attended and 470 sat down to dinner. Although the 'Gardners' were always quite firm that the Club and the Company should be kept quite separate, and that the Club should not be used as a sales pitch for their Caravans, they softened a little on this special occasion. The distributors of Cheltenham caravans wished to mark the anniversary and presented the Club with the Chairman's Badge which is now worn by our Chairmen on formal occasions.
1975 - The Cheltenham Caravan Company ceased trading
1976 - The Cheltenham Weekend moved to the Frogmill Inn. During the period following the closure of the Company membership fell steadily until 1980 when it began to pick up.
1980 or thereabouts - John and Tina Bradley started renovating Cheltenhams which has made a vital contribution to the survival of so many vans and the consequent revival and continued success of the Club.
1982 - The Cheltenham Weekend moved to Cheltenham Racecourse for one year and in 1983 it moved to Cowley Manor.
1986 - At the AGM it was announced that the President, Mrs Joyce Gardner, the Secretary, Mr Cecil Gardner, and the Treasurers, Mrs Joyce and Mrs Pat Gardner, having held office for 36 years, did not wish their names to go forward for re-election. The members heard this news with dismay, but received it with understanding. However, it was proposed that Mrs Joyce Gardner should be appointed the Life President and Mr Cecil Gardner Vice President. Mrs Jean Etheridge was elected Secretary and Mr Rupert Pilkington, Treasurer.
Having overheated on the M5, Jim Bradley had to leave his car at a garage over night for a new water pump to be fitted the next day. He wondered where he could go with the van for the night, when he realised that he was not far from Jean and Al Etheridge who would be able to suggest somewhere. A phone call brought Al to the scene and he soon hitched the van on and they were accommodated at Al's place for the night. This prompted a suggestion that other members might be pleased to offer similar assistance to fellow members in an emergency. Members responded well to the idea and the first Emergency List bearing 13 names was published in the 1987 Newsletter. There are 23 names on the current list.
1987 - The Cheltenham Weekend moved to Hatherley Manor Hotel. After leaving the Frogmill Inn it was difficult to find a suitable home for the Club to settle. Hatherley Manor was not as successful as was hoped and yet another search for a suitable site led us to Norton in 1988, where we stayed until the move to Eastnor Castle in 1999, in anticipation of the 50th Anniversary in 2000.
- The Vice-President, Mr Ceci1 Gardner, announced that he did not wish to
continue as the Vice-President. He had spent almost a quarter of a
century designing and manufacturing caravans and served as Hon.
Secretary for 36 years from the founding of the Club until he was
elected Vice Chairmen in 1986. He said he had enjoyed the hospitality and
friendships of the Club but it was time to make room for others.
2000 – it was sad that Mrs Joyce Gardner who, with her husband Arthur, was instrumental in founding the Club, and our President for so many years, died just before the 50th Anniversary celebrations.